Board Meeting Minutes
April 30th, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 4/30
• Floor meeting agenda has been set.
• Board etiquette has been discussed, including going over protocols of how to deal with sensitive/private information and expected behavior of board members in regards to formal complaints lodged at CIF or at a specific member (regardless of membership status).
• Formal Game Night feedback:
o Board has realized that there were multiple flaws in our communication and planning this year relating to multiple issues such as food preparation and pick-up.
• Dersh, Marc, and John will be going to the E4E feedback session at 4 PM tomorrow instead of 2 PM. Members who are not on board are not invited but they are welcome to ask board members questions about how ResLife responded to our presentation afterwards.
• Budget for this semester has been reviewed – I have severely misestimated how we would be spending our funds for this semester, causing an allocation of funds that was completely unaligned with the budget. However, discounting the cost of tshirts (which we will recoup), our spending total was in line with our initial plan. If you would like more information about CIF’s finances and what mistakes were made, please see Dersh in person or online.
o Another issue arose in that it was found in an audit performed by the Sec/Tres that the cashbox had $17 less than what it was supposed have account to our accounting records. This has been rectified with a donation by a board member.
• Board discussed early move-in procedures and methods of signing people up for early move-in that have expressed interest.
April 23rd, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 4/23/17
• Attendance: Matt D, John S, Josh C, Ben A, Marc H, Steven, Tanamaya
• Board has reviewed who needs to obtain participation points in order to avoid probation.
• On May 1st from 1-2, board will be meeting with ResLife to hear the results of our E4E meeting. Members are not invited.
• Board, looking at prices, has decided that it would be better for us to get catering from Sticky Lips instead of Dinosaur BBQ. We will be ordering 4 pounds of pulled pork, 3 pounds of brisket, a tray of cornbread, and 3 pounds of mac and cheese for ~$160. If you have declining, remember that it does not roll over into the next semester, so Formal Game Night (as well as CIFNic) is a great opportunity to get rid of it.
• CIFNic – Board has set a cap of $50 for purchasing meat for CIFNic. We will be getting vegan burgers, kosher hot dogs, kosher burgers, ground beef, and cheese.
• Early move-in procedures: if you wish to move in before the standard date, let John or Marc know. Please be aware that if you do move in early, you will be expected to help freshmen move in to Sue B. for a few hours.
• Move-out procedure: We will be going over our procedures for moving out at our next floor meeting which will be next Sunday, April 30th.
• Storage: Board will start moving our stuff into the lab for the summer shortly. We will have limited amounts of storage space for our membership to use. If you have anything that you would like to have stored over the lab, please let board know as soon as possible. It will be on a first-come first-serve basis for both telling us that you would like to reserve space and first-come first-serve on moving things in day-of.
April 16th, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 4/16/17
Attendance: Matt D, John S, Marc H, Josh C, Ben A, Tanamaya D, Alex K, Steven B
o Our deal with ooshirts is falling through as our Nauticock image will not work with traditional screening processes and the upgrade would bring the shirts out of our price range. We will let you know when there are updates.
• We need to do an event that affects the entirety of Jackson Court, so we are considering doing a Smash Bros event in O’Brien on D-Day (Friday, April 28) at 3 PM.
• Board has approved purchasing a set of ink for the black multipurpose printer on the condition that this will not be a recurring purchase and that Ben will put access locks on it as to prevent waste.
o Board has also approved the purchase of a transfer kit to get our larger grey printer to work and be incredibly efficient.
o Board has also approved the purchase of a new keyboard that will be used with the A/V system.
• Just a heads-up that ResLife will be touring CIF sometime this Friday to see what an average night on our floor is like, so be on your regular behavior and don’t go too wild that night.
• The Discord server has officially launched – check your email for an invite link.
• Board has created the appointed position temporarily named “Discord Guru” that will act as a moderator on the Discord server. It has been given to Josh Hyde.
• CIFPlays will be happening again this Saturday (4/22/17). We will be playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (since we did not do it last week). Josh Cohen has suggested playing Jack Box Party Pack which also sounds like fun. If you have any other ideas let us know.
• Alex Kautz has proposed the CIFlympics, a series of physical challenges for CIF members that we would do at CIFNic such as an impromptu obstacle. This may also turn into a competitive series of board games.
April 9th, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 4/9/16
Attendance: Matt D, Marc, Josh Cohen, Ben Suttin, Ben Ackerman, Adrian Go, Steven Broida, John Sterritt
• End-of-year Event ideas
o With only a few weeks left and many people not having met participation point quotas, board would like any and all ideas for events that we can have to make the end of the semester fun.
o One shots night – please let Marc know (or see the Google doc) if you are interested in GMing or playing in a one-shot.
It will have two timeslots – the first timeslot will be 2 hours, the second will be a “softer” 2 hours, so GMs please keep these time commitments in mind
o Our first CIFPlays will be on April 15th at 3 and will hopefully be every Saturday until reading period. Ideas that were suggested were:
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Goat Simulator – many in attendance believed this would be good for our first one
LoZ: Four Swords Adventure
Breath of the Wild
Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator
• Lab updates
o Marc will be acquiring staples for the lab sometime in the near future. This will be coming out of the money we have received from Hall Council for lab purposes.
o A public Steam account was suggested, but it does not seem like this would be feasible.
o Ben S. has some low-spec DRM free games that we may be able to put on the lab computers.
• The CIF Discord channel is still upcoming – board has been too overloaded to write a proper intro and it will be released when that is written. Please send any and all suggestions for the channel to Dersh.
• Tshirts will be obtained through Ooshirts, the same place that we bought them from last year. Board has also decided that, due to the lower than expected cost of producing the shirts, we will be lowering the price to $12 a shirt. Board has approved reimbursing Dersh for purchasing shirts.
• Board has decided on what the senior gift will be and we will reimburse John for purchasing it.
April 2nd, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 4/2/17
• Attendance: Matt D, John, Josh Cohen, Ben Ackerman, Daniel, Tanamaya, Steven, and Josh Hyde
• Board would like to welcome Linda Vasavong as out newest full member!
• Board discussed the problems that we have had with filling floor and recruitment in general
• Board discussed how our relationship with Hall Council was not as strong as it was last year and what we should be doing with our Hall Council Representative – suggested that we should make it explicit that our Hall Council Rep (among other appointed positions) can not be some board members by John.
• Board discussed many last-minute activities we can do to raise awareness of CIF and have an event that has a lot of visibility within Jackson Court such as
o Co-Sponsorsed event with AIF or MIF
o Minecraft Server Grand Re-Opening – suggested by Josh Cohen
o Large tech seminar in the CIF Lab instead of Hylan
• Board has reviewed our standards for CIF reimbursing people when tech purchases are made.
• Board has reviewed our E4E presentation which includes things such as event highlights, problems that CIF has had over the academic year.
• New rule: Sec/Tres now reserves the right to hit board members that give sign-in sheets that are not clearly labelled.
• Board would like to change our policies so that events are planned much longer in advance and we have much more notice for all of our events.
• Board has discussed possible changes to the rooms in which people are living next year in order to accommodate more members as best we can.
March 26th, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 3/26/17
• E4E – we must hand in our presentation by April 2nd.
o Each board member is expected to complete their portion of the slideshow as soon as possible. We will likely be showcasing our CSC 171 review tech seminar as our event that is most representative of our mission statement.
• T-shirts – we will be looking at purchasing 30 t-shirts after receiving 18 “yes” responses for purchasing a shirt on our Google form. We are currently looking at T-Shirt Express, a vendor in Rochester. The final number of shirts we will obtain will depend on cost per unit and any late interest in purchasing.
• Improvements – For the remainder of the semester, attending board meetings and suggesting things to board will be worth participation points. Attendance will be worth one point and (serious) suggestions will be worth an additional point.
o We will also be creating a suggestion box that will be located somewhere on floor for anonymous suggestions for improvements, events, etc. that any of you may have for CIF. PLEASE use it.
• Interviews – We would like to welcome Andrew Hahn, Adam Eichhron, Isabel Anderson, and Diarra Bell as our newest full members!
• Participation points – Everyone who is below 12 participation points will receive a reminder email. If you do not receive an email about participation points in the next few days, you are not in real danger of being on probation next semester, but keep coming to events!
February 19th, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes 2/19/17
• We’d like to welcome Tanamaya Dahiya, Kelly Cheung, Sifan Ye, and Austin Vorda as our newest full members!
• Floor meeting has been planned.
• The housing packet has been discussed.
• Board has discussed expanding the visibility of Help@CIF
• Board has approved the budget for the Spring 2017 semester.
February 12th, 2017
• Meeting minutes have been updated on cif.rochester.edu now that the website is fully functional.
• Appointed positions
o Steven Broida is our Kitchen Goddess
o Shelby Young is our Paparazzi
o John Sterritt is our Hall Council Representative
o Daniel Stegink is our King of Games
o Sara Shore, Daniel Stegink, and Josh Hyde are our ZDC
o Daniel Stegink, Steven Broida, Adrian Go, and Sara Shore are our Help@CIF team
o Matthew Hochberg, Marc Halbritter, and Douglas Timmons are our Pantheon of Cleanliness.
o Check the core for the SIH week sign-up sheet. Please remember that we have a maximum of 3 people at the table at all times.
o Our Smash Bros. event will be from 7:30-10 PM on the 24th in Hirst Lounge, likely cosponsored with WRUR.
o Our next Game Night will be this Saturday, it will be Singles Awareness Day themed.
o Our first tech seminar of the semester will be this Saturday in Hylan 301 at 2. It will be basic UNIX again.
o There will be a RvB showing at 9 in Projector Suite tonight.
February 5th, 2017
• Final changes to the constitution have been made.
• Upcoming events were discussed.
• Inventory was taken on Smash Bros supplies and other things.
o Server improvements have been planned for the lab.
January 29th, 2017
• There will be a RWBY showing at 9 tonight in Projector Suite.
• Nominations for appointed positions besides Kitchen Goddess will be done at our next floor meeting.
• Marc will be working on scheduling our large Smash Bros. tournament. There will be catering and a prize with a small entry fee (likely going to be $2/person). Possibly cosponsoring with WRUR. We will also be looking at bringing multiple monitors in order to have a separate set-up to play Melee on the side.
• Reflection on CIF Game Night – very successful.
• Board is looking at the possibility of planning LAN parties in the lab, most likely going to playing old-school FPS games like Quake. Tech people will be looking at what may be required to run this.
• Reminder to send in your participation points codenames and submit your dues to me by next floor meeting (2/5). If I am on floor, I will likely be in my room or in Comfy Suite.
• Lab updates: Windows 7, Libra Office, and many programming suites have been installed on all computers in the lab. We will likely be adding InkScape soon to make posters in the lab in the future.
• SIH week: we will be tabling on 2/13, 2/14, and 2/16.
• Our first tech seminar will be on 2/18. It will be our basic UNIX tech seminar. Please send us suggestions for tech seminar topics if you have any.
• Board has expressed interest in getting Safe Space training, if possible, for CIF.
January 22nd, 2017
• Aliases on the mailing list are now functioning as intended
• Board has reviewed the constitution to be proposed at the floor meeting
• Floor meeting has been planned.
Floor Meeting Minutes
April 30th, 2017
Floor Meeting Minutes 4/30
• Board has collected information from members in case we need to contact them over the summer and for if they plan on moving back on campus early. If you do want to move in early, it is expected of you to move freshmen in to Sue B. on August 23rd. Those in the suite claimed through the housing lottery may or may not be able to move in early, John is currently interacting with ResLife in order to see if this is possible.
• Study break ideas:
o People expressed interest in continued CIFPlays and watching the LEGO Batman Movie. There will be a doodle poll for availability.
• Board would like to formally apologize for the lack of a vegan option and late food at Formal Game Night. We will make sure to cater to all dietary restrictions of our members in the future.
• Closing procedures
o Meal plans – you will be charged $50 if you do not select a meal plan by May 5th. Check your email if you do not have the link to the meal plan selection. Clean out the fridges – both the one in the kitchen and your individual suites
o You are expected to clean/vacuum your room and common areas.
o A Doode poll will be sent out about when you are leaving. We will be using this information to figure out when would be the best date to move CIF furniture into the lab.
o There may be additional storage space available in the lab for the summer – if there are any effects that you would like to store over the summer, please let us know. This will be done on a first-come first-serve basis for both reserving space and putting items in the lab.
• Board has officially announced that John Steritt, our logistics manager, is officially on probation for the next semester. This was due to both communications between John and alumni as well as interpersonal issues between John and an anonymous CIF member or affiliate. While he was not found to be at fault in regards to the first offense, board had found him to be behaving improperly in regards to the second offense. The terms of the probation are private, and if you are not directly involved you do not have the privilege of knowing any details of this case. Board has also announced that our Chair, Marc Halbritter, has committed an impeachable offense by not announcing the probation meeting that occurred on March 23rd, 2017 at 10 PM 48 hours in advance as well as holding the meeting in private. This decision was made by the Chair in order to protect the privacy of those involved. If there are any comments or concerns unrelated to the case or terms of probation, please come to board as soon as possible.
April 23rd, 2017
Floor Meeting Minutes 4/23/17
• Formal Game Night is this Saturday, April 29th on floor. Please be aware that ONLY full members and alumni will be allowed to attend – board reserves the right to ask any attendees that are not full members of CIF to leave.
o Formal dress is required. Business casual is fine, but we will suggest that you change if you are wearing anything below that in terms of fanciness.
o Floor has been asked what they would like to have from Dinosaur BBQ. Suggestions were:
Mac and Cheese
Buns – will be obtained from Hillside
• CIFNic will be this Sunday, April 30th. Cooking will begin at 12. Vegetarian/vegan burgers will be served first, followed by kosher burgers and hot dogs, with non-kosher hamburgers and cheeseburgers served last. Board reserves the right to ask any attendees that are not full members of CIF to leave as well.
• Shirts will be here around the 28th – when they get here I will send out an email letting you all know with instructions on how to pick them up.
• Reslife/SIH people will be touring floor this Friday, April 28th somewhere between 9 and 10. Act the way you normally would – they are coming to see what a normal night on floor is like.
• If you do not yet have 17 participation points, you will be getting a notification soon, so watch your emails!
April 9th, 2017
Floor Meeting Minutes 4/9
• We formally introduced our new members that attended the floor meeting (Isabel, Aaron, Callahan, and Adam)
o On April 29th, we will be having our Formal Game Night. We will be dressing up fancy and playing board games. Floor voted between more traditionally catering from Dinosaur BBQ (with vegetarian options) or a potluck (where people are reimbursed for the ingredients). It was also made clear that if we do formal catering for Formal Game Night we would welcome cooking for CIFnic and we would review reimbursement on a case-by-case basis. Floor voted for traditional catering
o On April 30th, we will have CIFnic. Board will be acquiring hamburgers and hotdogs (as well as kosher meat and vegetarian options). If you would like to cook for this event, please let us know what you would like to make and we will decide on if board will reimburse you (we will likely reimburse if we think its likely that most people will eat what you make)
o This Saturday, April 15th at 3, we will be having our first CIFPlays in the lab. Suggestions were presented to floor and the members. The vote tallies were:
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes – 18
Goat Simulator – 16
LoZ: Four Swords Adventure – 6
Unturned – 2
Breath of the Wild – 6
Snipperclips – 7
Shovel Knight – 13
Snake Pass – 7
We will be playing Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator in the future. We will definitely be doing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, we may or may not be doing Goat Simulator as well depending on turnout and other factors day-of.
o One-shots night, tentatively scheduled for the 22nd at 1 or 2 PM.
Floor seemed interested in having a one shot night
There will be 2 sessions. Prospective DMs, please see the spreadsheet that will be sent out to let us know what you got.
o Board is considering making the juggling show an event due to three of our members being in it.
o Hall Council Representative – we have found that a board member is too burdened with other CIF duties to do this as well, so we would like a non-board member to do it.
o Residence Hall Association (RHA) Representative – this would essentially be a backup for when Marc is unable to attend, as it is part of his duties as chair. Meeting times are currently not set.
• Lab updates – InkScape and ModelSim are now available on the lab computers and floor has been notified that we are considering putting some DRM-free games onto the lab computers.
o Steven has suggested that we print out instructions for the A/V system in the lab as there are a lot of buttons that aren’t labelled and there is a certain order of operations that must be followed for it to actually work.
March 26th, 2017
Floor Meeting Minutes 3/26/17
• We are taking the final tally for tshirts, including new members, to finalize our order. -See Dersh
• For the remainder of the semester, attending board meetings and suggesting things to board will be worth participation points. Attendance will be worth one point and (serious) suggestions will be worth an additional point. -Marc
o We will also be creating a suggestion box that will be located somewhere on floor (most likely in the shelves in Couch Suite) for anonymous suggestions for improvements, events, etc. that any of you may have for CIF. PLEASE use it. – Marc
• We will absolutely be continuing our “this weekend on CIF” emails due to the positive feedback we have been getting. – John
• We are looking at restarting CIFPlays. If there are any games that you would like to play with CIF, please email John. Please keep it M-rated or below and make sure that we do not have to purchase the game. Try to stay aware from story-driven games – we should be able to pass around the controller and people should be able to pop in and out!
• Housing – we will be having our official housing meeting at 8:00 PM THIS FRIDAY (March 31st) on floor. If you are not able to attend in-person, you are able to do it over programs such as Skype or send a proxy. If you want to send a proxy, you MUST tell us in writing AND in-person who you will be sending. If you require a medical single, please let us know as soon as possible. BRING YOUR HOUSING PACKETS!
• IF YOU DO NOT SHOW UP TO THE HOUSING MEETING OR SEND A PROXY, WE CAN NOT GUARENTEE YOUR PLACE ON FLOOR NEXT YEAR!
February 19th, 2017
o Smash Bros will be this Friday, Feb 24, from 7:30-10:00 in Hirst. It will be a free event, drop in/drop out.
o We will be having RvB showing after the meeting.
o We will be having a movie screening in Projector Suite next week. Check your emails for a poll.
o We are attempting to bring back CIFPlays. Email John with any ideas for Let’s Plays you would to have. Please do not suggest anything that is either X-rated or you know that nobody has this in their Steam library.
• We will be having our housing meeting in a few weeks, likely after Spring Breakf. Please be aware.
• Ben has discussed various updates that have happened or will happen in the lab such as card reader improvements and improvements to the AV system.
o If you are trying to get into the lab and the card reader beeps three times multiple times in a row upon swiping your card, please contact either Ben or Daniel to fix the reader as that means it will not let anyone in.
February 5th, 2017
• The Constitution has been approved by a majority of full members and will now be in effect. The new constitution is not the final version, as there will be changes that will only change grammar and spelling within the constitution, not content.
• Josh Cohen has officially been sworn in as the new Tech Services Director.
• Appointed Positions Nominations
o Kitchen Goddess: Steven Broida (Already appointed)
o Paparazzi: Shelby Young
o Hall Council Representative: Matt Hochberg, John Sterritt
o King of Games: Daniel Stegink
o ZDC: Sara Shore, Daniel Stegink, Josh Hyde
o Help@CIF: Daniel Stegink, Steven Broida, Adrian Go, Sara Shore
o Pantheon of Cleanliness: Matthew Hochberg, Marc Halbritter, Douglas Timmons
• Special Interest Housing Week is coming up. Tabling will be on 2/13 from 4-7 in Hirst and it is our main way of advertising CIF. There will be a sign-in sheet posted on the mural soon. There will be tabling on 2/15 and 2/16 as well in Sue B.
o We will be having Singles Awareness Day as a part of SIH Week where we will be distriubuting chocolate and grape juice.
• We will be holding a Smash Bros tournament some time the week of the 19th in Hirst lounge.
• Eresh Halpert Rhodis will be joining floor, welcome!
• CIF strongly suggests that all suites look at their suite agreements to reflect new members of suites.
January 23rd, 2017
o The nominations for Kitchen Goddess are: Matthew Hochberg, Steven Broida, and Marc Halbritter
o The nominations for Tech Services Director are: Josh Cohen
• Dues are $25 for the semester. They are due to by the next floor meeting. If you are unable to pay dues for whatever reason, please see me (Matt Dershowitz) as soon as possible to let me know. Also remember that we may accept donations of technology or other items that will benefit CIF as a substitute for dues.
• Participation points codenames are due by the next floor meeting.
• The new constitution has been presented to the membership and has been unanimously approved for introduction. The vote of ratification will be next floor meeting. The edited version of the constitution will be sent out for review.
• Special Interest Housing week begins on February 13th. Please email Marc or John about volunteering.