Meeting Minutes

Board Meeting Minutes

December 8th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Isabel, Casey, Jack

  • Don’t Freeze Together went well
    • A lot of people showed up from CIF, MIF, and AIF
  • Casual Game Night was pretty small
  • Should figure out when spring SIH week should be
  • Transition future board members
  • Build a computer study break: Friday, Dec 13 2:30-4:30 pm Douglass 401
    • Reservation is for 2-5 pm
    • Can get points for attending and helping run it!
  • Housing changes have been figured out
  • VR headset is still waiting to be shipped
    • There is a safety waiver thing for people to sign when they use the headset so that board is not liable for potential injuries (just don’t walk into things, guys)
  • White elephant has 8 people currently signed up
    • People can get one point for participating
  • Have not bought a board game to add to the collection for this semester yet
    • Sushi Go party edition? (Jason)
  • Should get candy and snacks for lounges when people are studying there
  • Isabel wants to do an event on Wednesday to decorate cookies
  • Tech directors meeting with Tony and Dave this week
  • Closed board meeting to discuss participation points

November 24th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Liam, Lloyd, Jack, Maryfrances

  • Don’t Freeze Together: Dec 6, 6 – 10 pm
    • AIF and MIF will be cosponsoring
    • Reservations not processed yet
  • Casual Game Night Dec 7, 8 pm – late
  • Should consider board game to buy for the semester – $50 left in the game budget
  • Still waiting on room reservations for the study break
    • Put the study break in the study break list by all clubs
    • Fri Dec 13, 2:30-4:30 pm, Douglass 404 (if we can get that room)
    • Would need volunteers to help – would they be able to get participation points?
    • Maybe two points for volunteering/running, one for attending
  • Studying together event during reading period – need to get snacks
    • Maybe Costco trip on Wednesday, the last day of class
  • Get an estimate of people who would participate in white elephant
    • Write up a set of rules for the gift exchange
  • Probably no board meeting the Sunday after break (12/1)
  • Appointed positions points:
    • Kitchen goddess: .5
    • Lab lord: 0
    • Sysadmins: Jack: 1, Lloyd: .5
    • Flyboy: 1
    • Paparazzi: .5
    • King of games: .5
  • Purchasing a VR headset for the lab
    • It’s within our budget and would be fun for members
    • Self-contained system for $500
    • Austin wants to make the lab more like a social space than a using-the-computers space
    • Borrowing policy where a tech director holds the ID of the person borrowing (Austin) and the set cannot leave the lab (Liam)
    • Games are around $30 and keep games on the shared CIF account
    • IT has accounts for Rettner stuff we could ask about? (Jack)
    • Get input from floor to see if people would be interested
    • Proposed spending $560 ($500 for the system, $60 for games)
    • Send out a poll and get a majority of people responding who are interested in order to buy it (maybe 10 yes’s)
    • Voted and approved
  • Could rent out the monitors we have in the lab (Cole)
  • We have like $50 left in the RA budget
  • Want to take all Windows 7 machines offline by the end of the semester (Jack)
  • Someone keeps turning off the AC, please stop ☹

November 17th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Liam, Casey, Cole, Jack, Isabel, Josh, Lloyd

  • CIFgiving:
    • Tristan is going to help clean up
    • We will be able to use other floors’ kitchens
  • Don’t Freeze Together Dec 6, 6-10 pm
    • Won’t have conference room until 7
    • Should put posters before break
    • Tommy will go to get supplies sometime the day before the event
    • Tommy is bringing his switch
  • Casual Game Night Dec 7?
  • Computer Building Tech Seminar study break Friday Dec 13?
    • 2-5 pm Douglass 403
  • Study hall type event for reading period
    • Snacxs like hot cocoa and other things for each lounge
  • Remaining board and floor meetings for the semester:
    • Board meetings 11/24, 12/1, 12/8
    • Floor meetings 12/8
  • Follow up with people with concerning participation points after CIFgiving
    • Should contact the people who are low and not planning on bringing anything before CIFgiving to remind them of the points opportunity
  • Closed board discussion

November 10th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Isabel, Josh, Jack, Lloyd, Jason, Maryfrances

  • R tech seminar coming up next week with Mike, Ethan, and Tommy
    • 2pm-3pm Saturday, Nov 16 Gavett 244
  • Movie Night Saturday, Nov 16 7 pm
    • Poll going out soon
  • CIFgiving:
    • Alums have not responded
    • CIF is paying for the turkey
    • People who want to attend should bring something
    • People can also help clean (and can get a point)
    • Dan offers to be in charge of cleanup
    • Should be able to use kitchens for floors 2, 4, and maybe 7 in Anderson
    • People who use other kitchens MUST BE SURE TO CLEAN THEM
    • Probably need to get plates/dishes/pots to use in other kitchens
    • Make a list of kitchen supplies to purchase before CIFgiving
    • Could have people bring their desk chairs out for enough seating
    • Associate members can only attend if they are dues-paying
  • Plus-ones will be okay for Formal Game Night
  • Don’t Freeze Together 2 Friday, Dec 6 6pm-9/10pm
    • Cosponsor with AIF/MIF/Lilac?
    • S’mores, hot chocolate, cider, candy canes, premade stuff
    • Tommy will try to get RHA funding for this
  • Secret Santa/White Elephant
    • Probably White Elephant, $10-20
    • Sunday, December 8 after floor meeting
    • Could ask if people are more interested in secret santa
    • Please put in good gifts, not random stuff
  • Elections next floor meeting, updated list
    • Chair: Lucas, Lloyd
    • Logistics: Jason, Casey, Liam
    • Secretary-Treasurer: Jason, Casey, Liam
    • Services: Josh
    • Maintenance: Jack
  • Constitution quiz after board meeting
  • Member interview for Ryan ODell
    • Associate member

November 3rd, 2019

In attendance: Board, Isabel, Jack, Josh, Ian, Maryfrances, Tanamaya, Casey

  • Participation point check ins with probation people
  • Some people are still likely not on track to meet quota
    • Still about 22 points available remaining in the semester
    • 18 when not counting board meetings
    • Probably a few more points than that available due to flyering opportunities
  • Ian will be getting points for the Minecraft server
    • 3 points minimum suggested (Dan), approved
  • Email people who are low on participation points requesting a response and mentioning consequences (anyone below 10-12 maybe)
  • CIFgiving follow up email is drafted in the CIF gmail
  • Appointed positions:
    • Kitchen goddess: 1
    • Lab lord: 0
    • Sysadmin: 1 for Jack, .5 for Lloyd
    • Flyboy: 1
    • Paparazzi: 0
    • King of games: 1
  • Nominations at this floor meeting, elections next floor meeting
  • Constitution quiz will be held next Sunday after board meeting
  • CIFgiving food sign-up sheet is drafted and in the CIF drive
    • Includes dietary restrictions and if you need to use the kitchen
    • If you’re bringing multiple things, please fill out the spreadsheet multiple times
    • No updates on reserving other kitchens yet
  • SIH Weekend tabling Thursday night for dinner at Danforth
    • Starting around 4:30, probably don’t need to stay much longer than 5:30
    • Might want people to stay to catch people as they leave (Austin), maybe until 6:30
  • Meet CIF & Game Night Saturday, Nov 9 7:30 pm
    • Need flyers and also mini flyers for tabling
    • Costco pizza
  • Collaborative event 3-5 pm on Sunday, Nov 10 in the Welles-Brown Room
  • Movie Night Saturday, Nov 16
  • R Tech Seminar Saturday, Nov 16, time undecided
  • Tech updates:
    • Website is back up
    • One camera is being weird

October 27th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Isabel, Josh, Jack, Jason

  • Following up with members on probation still at the time decided previously
  • Closed board discussion
  • Member interview for Yudi
    • Associate member
    • Voted and accepted
  • Nominations for next board next weekend (Nov 3)
  • Need to update the constitution quiz for next election
    • Could add a ‘match the responsibility to the position’ section
  • Elections two weeks after nominations (Nov 17)
  • Juliane is going to bring up reserving kitchens for CIFgiving for us soon
  • No news from alumni about CIFgiving yet
  • Want to have CIFgiving food sign-up sheet ready by next weekend
    • We will be probably providing plates/cups/utensils
  • Ian has made a very nice game-tracking Google sheet
  • CIF website issue is IT’s issue (Jack); we got the wrong certificate
  • Secret Santa planning soon
    • Could ask about it in the next-next floor meeting (Nov 17?)
    • Start getting signups around that time
    • Event itself could happen Dec 8? (last week of classes)
    • Gnome of Unbeknownst Bestowing
    • Could do White Elephant instead
  • Should announce CIFx talks at floor meetings so people remember that it’s occurring (Isabel)
  • Suggestion: make board agenda publicly viewable
  • Josh has proposed a new constitution to propose and vote on at the same meeting
    • Could have additional floor meeting Nov 24 (right before Thanksgiving break) (Tommy)
    • Could have open ballot with the suggestion box and an envelope collecting names to prevent double voting (Jason)
    • Could have the suggestion box be carried around by one person to ensure there are no counterfeit votes (Josh)
    • Proposal could be at nominations meeting and then voting at the next week’s game night (Sat Nov 9) so it doesn’t overlap with elections; final call for voting at next floor meeting (elections) and final count

October 20th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Jack, Liam, Isabel, Josh, Cole

  • Emergency election tonight at floor meeting
    • Need simple majority of voting members to vote yes
  • Full elections coming up soon
    • Nominations November 3, election November 17? (Tommy)
  • Game Night Saturday, October 26
    • Theme: graveyard of everything that’s died since last year
  • Movie Night Saturday, November 2
  • DandyHacks Intro to Git seminar says it’s by CIF? (Jack)
    • Run by Jack, Liam, Cole
    • Sat, Oct 26 Genesee 309 4:30-5:30 pm
    • Could put a sign in sheet for CIF attendees to get points
  • Game Night & Meet CIF Saturday, November 9 (SIH Weekend), 7:30 for Meet CIF
    • Could order Costco pizza
    • Tentatively 6 pizzas, around the same cost as the two sheets we normally get
  • SIH weekend collaborative study break event: Sunday, Nov 10 3-5 pm in Welles-Brown Room
    • Food, board games, etc
  • Tabling during SIH weekend available any day at Danforth lunch, scheduled for Friday lunch
    • Could also do Thursday dinner (Austin)
  • Potential movie night Saturday, November 16? We have an open weekend
    • Could have a casual game night instead? (Dan)
  • Need a tech seminar to happen soon
    • R tech seminar – having trouble planning it still (Tommy)
    • Could put it on the weekend of November 16 instead of movie night or game night
  • CIFgiving Saturday, November 23
    • Emails going out to alumni soon (Dan)
    • Food sign-up sheet out around November 2
    • Have to find someone who can cook the turkey (traditionally an alum)
    • Looking into reserving other floors’ kitchens for cooking
  • Don’t Freeze Together 2
    • Cosponsor with AIF, MIF, Lilac Living?
    • Hot chocolate and s’mores
    • December 7 weekend; pick specific day as it gets closer
  • Build a Computer seminar study break event
    • Potentially Friday, December 13
  • Check in with Tristan and Ian November 3 weekend
    • Ask them to come to the board meeting
  • Website is still in progress
    • Need it to be functional for SIH weekend (Josh)
    • Going to put in new certificates this week (Austin)
  • Card reader access is still not working
  • Closed board meeting discussion

October 6th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Liam, Isabel, Jack, Lloyd, Jason

  • Need to find a time to hold the disciplinary meeting
    • Make a list of times that work for board and send to him to choose
    • Potentially 4:30 pm on Friday, 5 pm Thursday
    • Potentials next week: 5 pm Thursday the 17th
  • King of Games: Ian
  • Lab Lord: Richard
  • SIH Weekend: Nov 8-10
    • Collaborative event Sun, Nov 10, 12-5pm Welles Brown Room (“study break”)
    • Borrowing games from URSGA to bring to the event (Tommy)
    • Standard game night probably on Saturday, Nov 9 (want to pick a theme)
    • Could do a Meet CIF before game night (Tommy); get pizza for game night (Austin)
    • Could get Costco pizza (Tommy)
  • Need time for the next tech seminar on R (or plan the seminar after that for SIH weekend)
    • CS career workshop talk? (Austin) – get career center to cosponsor (Lloyd) or WIC (Austin)
    • Course selection help right before registration (Jason)
    • Want the talk to likely be before advising week, which is going to be too soon (might want to do this in spring semester instead)
  • Next floor meeting Sunday, Oct 20
  • Remove voting abilities from people who have missed more than 3 floor meetings?
    • Moot point for associates as floor meetings are not required for them (Josh)
  • Send an email to associates who have not attended anything so far this semester (Tommy)
    • Ask if they want to retain membership
    • Could word it as “reply if you want to keep membership” or “reply if you want to remove membership” (Tommy)
    • People who don’t attend might not check emails anymore (Josh)
    • Constitutionally we should do the latter (opt-out) (Austin)
    • “Respond back if you want to stay on our mailing list”? (Jason)
    • Could do a “respond back to opt in OR opt out” and try to get a response from everyone (Tommy)
    • Could have “inactive vs active” members rather than automatically removing people when they don’t attend (Jack)
  • Proposed amendment to the constitution: 13.1: “An amendment may replace this constitution with a new document” – change to “may not”

September 29th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Jack, Liam, Isabel, Jason, Ethan

  • Picking the movie theme beforehand was a good idea, will keep this idea for the future (Dan)
  • Calendar will be updated with board and floor meetings soon
  • Casual game night this Saturday, Oct 5th
  • CIFx talks Sunday, Oct 6th
  • Next game night 19th or 26th? Next president’s council meeting this Tues to find out for sure when SIH weekend is, so likely the 26th
    • Want an event that weekend to advertise (Tommy)
    • Might end up being Halloween themed
  • Think about dates for CIFgiving (Tommy)
    • Around 4 pm, maybe on Nov 23rd
    • Costco trip to buy big amounts of food for CIFgiving
    • Douglass community kitchen won’t work for the event (Tommy)
    • Require people to bring food (Isabel)
    • Take care of supplies and utensils as board (Dan)
  • R seminar: need date/time but it should be happening (Tommy)
  • Ethernet is fixed and Frank has been replaced (Jack)
  • Austin’s friend can make a website for CIF at a discounted rate ($60-100)
  • Appointed positions:
    • Flyboy: Isabel
    • Sysadmin: Jack, Lloyd
    • Kitchen Goddess: Casey
    • Paparazzi: Sifan
    • Still need King of Games, Lab Lord(s), Hall Council Rep
  • Have not received any further write in votes

September 22nd, 2019

In attendance: Board, Isabel, Jack, Lloyd, Liam

  • Good attendance at tech seminar
    • Finished on time with some time available for advanced stuff (Josh)
    • Technical problems with Mac and other issues (Josh)
  • Game night started out slow but ended with good attendance (Tommy)
    • People coming and going, but ultimately attendance was similar to normal
    • Should keep advertising to mailing list because need enough people to play games
  • Calendar has not been updated yet (Dan)
  • R tech seminar coming up at some point with Mike and Ethan
  • Saturday, Sept 28th 7 pm: Movie Night
    • Get theme ahead of time and vote from set of movies at the event (Tommy)
    • Could poll for genre instead of theme (Dan)
    • Need someone to be there to run the event (Tommy), Dan will do it
  • Saturday, October 5th 8 pm: Casual Game Night
  • CIFx talk intended from Jack: Picking your first Linux distro
    • October 6th will be our collection of talks (Tommy)
    • Make sure CIFx is highlighted in the email of events for the week (Austin)
  • Sending email about constitution: Dan
  • Saturday, October 19th 8 pm: Game Night
    • Might need to push it back because SIH weekend might be around then (Tommy)
    • Could coincide with Halloween weekend (Isabel)
    • Not sure when SIH weekend will be yet (Tommy)
  • Upcoming events:
    • Don’t Freeze 2 coming up again this year
    • How to build a computer potential study break
    • Board satire play event (with fake agenda, stage directions, improvisation; we play each other) (Lucas & Austin)
  • CIFplays events in the future (Austin)
  • Appointed positions:
    • Still need people to nominate themselves for kitchen goddess, lab lord, king of games
    • Need someone to design the website – might look for outside people
    • In email about appointed positions, link the GitHub page with list of positions
  • All floor member dues are in (Lucas)
  • Constitution voting:
    • Calling in votes will be allowed (Tommy)
    • Could accept absentee ballots via email (Tommy)
    • But loss of anonymity (Austin)
    • Put a vote in an envelope with your name on it and then secretary adds the vote to the pile at meeting after they ensure the person is not there to double vote
    • Could have a Google Forms ballot where the link is only given to people who are going to vote absentee (Tommy)
    • Could have the form go out at a set time to all people at once (Austin)
  • Tech updates from meeting with Tony: (Josh)
    • Upgraded switches last semester
    • Upgrading infrastructure
    • Potentially IT will be able to give us a card reader that we can administrate
    • Might give us a nice printer
    • Problem with the network has been identified (IP addresses are not being handed out, but apparently, it’s not supposed to be by us)
    • New router is being set up
  • Closed board discussion on participation points and membership

September 15th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Jack, Liam, Isabel, Lloyd, Jason

  • 26 people attended the floor bonding event (Lucas)
    • Only some leftover food
  • Should have a Don’t Freeze Together again this semester (Tommy)
  • Potential Jackson Court bonding event? (Tommy)
    • Drama House interested in hosting an event at their house with us
    • “Best of CIFx” (Dan)
  • Casual game night Saturday at 8pm, email out to members and events list (Tommy)
    • No posters, theme, weekend highlights; just casual hangout; can bring friends
  • Unix tech seminar Saturday 3:15-4:15 Douglass 401
    • Jack will talk to workshop leaders to advertise
    • Contacting CS 161 (Isabel volunteered), 170 (Cole volunteered), 171 (need volunteer, MW 10:25-11:40), 172 (Isabel volunteered), 173 (need volunteer Jason volunteered, MW 2-3:15), DS majors, BIO 208 (need volunteer Jason volunteered, MW 11:50-1:05), DSC 201 (volunteer), CS majors (Austin)
    • Need people to attend some of these classes to promote the tech seminar (can get a participation point!)
    • Taking volunteers till end of tonight
    • Still need someone to advertise to CSC 171, MW 10:25-11:40
    • Could also email the math majors (get list from Mark Herman)
    • Need volunteers to actually host the seminar (Austin, Josh, Jack, Lloyd)
  • Potentially make a poster spot in front of Rettner (Dan)
    • Tape posters up in Wegmans? (Jason & Josh)
    • Tape things up on windows in Rettner (Jack)
    • Talk with Lisa about this (Lloyd)
  • Next official game night Saturday, October 19th 8pm (Tommy)
    • Poll for themes at floor meeting
    • Oct 5th is Meliora Weekend, Oct 12th is fall break
  • Casual game night Oct 5th Mel Weekend? (Tommy)
  • Google calendar with updated CIF events would be good (Jason)
    • Allow people to subscribe to it for updates
    • Could make an appointed position for keeping the calendar updated (Dan & Jason)
    • “Agenda figure” – Jason
    • Not necessary to make it an actual appointed position, just have someone do it (Austin)
  • Movie nights on off weeks from game nights (Tommy)
    • Highly requested, but not highly attended
    • Uncertain if we will continue these (Tommy)
    • But not that difficult to host (Dan)
    • Some people complained that the movie nights ended up being a movie they didn’t want to watch (Austin)
    • Select a movie choice at the start of movie night (Josh)
    • Make a list and get a few movies to choose from, and then pick at movie night (Jason)
    • Themed movie nights with a collection of types of movies? (Lloyd)
    • Have a poll of potential ones and take the top few and have people choose which specific one from those (Jason)
    • Could have first movie night on Sat, Sept 28th, 7pm
  • Tech updates:
    • Router config is broken and will need to be replaced to fix the ethernet (Josh)
    • Found two extra DNS servers (Austin)
    • Limit the number of static IPs (Austin)
    • Non-CIF room is on non-CIF ethernet now; in the future will need to remember to change it back (Austin) Room 332
    • Suggested new appointed position for web development (Austin) (frontend developer)
    • Essentially commissioning a nice-looking website (Dan)
    • Need more paper ($50-60) and new router ($60) (Josh)
    • Had planned purchase for paper from end of last semester that we need to re-make (Tommy)
    • Purchase paper first and refund later (Josh)
    • Voted on purchases; passed
  • Missing 8 dues, 9 codenames
  • Ian would like to pay dues with cookies worth $1.49 as well as the rest in cash; approved
  • Budget; voted and approved
  • Let people know they can have a one shot at casual game night (Isabel)
  • Casual Magic tournament at game night (Isabel); gauge interest at floor meeting
  • Next tech seminar topic & date:
    • R or Git (Austin)
    • Need volunteers for R (potentially Tommy, Ethan, Mike)
    • Git would need more time to prepare (Austin)
    • Want a smaller audience for git seminar so instructors can be one-on-one (Austin)
    • R seminar preferred, because earlier in semester there are R-related classes that need it

September 8th, 2019

In attendance: Board, Isabel, Jack, Tanamaya, Lloyd

  • Game night yesterday went very well, decent amount of people for Meet CIF (Tommy)
    • Snack setup went well
  • Floor bonding moved to Friday, Sept 13th at the firepit, 7-9 pm (Tommy)
    • Get food (S’Mores, maybe other snacks and drinks)
  • Casual game night on the 21st, 8 pm, not flyering
    • Can still get points for attending and bringing food
    • Advertising to mailing list as well as general members
  • Still waiting on vems confirmation for Saturday the 14th for tech seminar (Tommy)
    • Can go into weekend highlights
    • Unix and command line
    • Contact CSC 161, 171, 172 professors (Lloyd & Austin)
    • Can talk to the other 172 workshop leaders (Jack)
    • Austin should contact professors about advertising tech seminar (Tommy)
    • Hoping to finalize reservation by tomorrow (Tommy)
  • Network stuff is falling a bit behind (Austin)
  • Sending email reminder soon for dues and minutes (Lucas)
    • Also mention appointed positions (Austin)
  • Budget to be voted on next week (Tommy)
    • Furniture expenses will go in the miscellaneous category and have a larger amount allocated, as kitchen supplies are already a separate category (Lucas)
  • Tommy met with Julianne earlier in the week and we are ok
    • Soon, Dan will be meeting with Julianne and Tommy will be meeting with Brian instead
    • Tommy goes to RHA meetings
  • CCC is still being weird (Tommy)
  • Tanamaya is excused of $20 worth of dues for a game donation this semester (Lucas)

September 1st, 2019

In attendance: Board, Lloyd, Isabel, Liam

  • Participation points
    • Suggested to drop to 20 quota (Tommy)
    • Suggested to drop to 22 (Josh)
    • Waiver at 20 (Austin)
    • Three people from last semester below 22 (and also the same 3 are below 20)
    • There was complaining when we raised the quota to 25 (Tommy)
    • Two board game nights a month to make it easier to meet quota? (Austin)
    • Concerns over it being then “too easy” to get points for food, setup, and attendance for each game night (Josh)
    • Only a few people normally helped set up and they would have done so regardless in the past (Josh)
    • 22 is good because it’s easy to drop down to 20 later (Josh)
    • CIFx talks will continue and maybe projects? (Josh)
    • Expand CIFx talks because Drama House wanted to host events for us (Austin)
    • Will need more people to be doing CIFx talks before we aim to do that (Josh)
    • Could cosponsor with the TEDx group as a future goal (Austin)
    • Keep track of which CIFx talks go well and recap the best ones (Josh)
    • Voted on 22 points being the quota; passes
    • Re: Double game nights; one “official” game night, one “casual” game night, with one open to the public and one for members only? (Austin, Josh, Isabel)
    • “Casual” one will have no advertising and decoration, but can bring friends
    • Concern about fall off in attendance, but overall attendance might go up (Josh)
  • Dues
    • $25 is what it has been for many years; v­­­oted and passed
  • Budget
    • Anticipated tech expenses: keep budget about the same as last year
    • Could always dip into extra unallocated funds (Josh)
    • Need more paper (Josh)
    • Put in allowance in the budget for paper purchase if needed before we hear back from RHA (Tommy)
    • Note for the spring to allocate more money for Formal Game Night food in case we run out quickly (Tommy)
    • Furniture in budget (Josh), tables and chairs for the lab
    • Furniture could go in the Miscellaneous section and make that a larger allocation
    • Want new whiteboards and markers
    • Maybe $150 for tables, chairs, whiteboard? (Austin)
    • Planned to have whiteboard be the largest expenditure; furniture should be used
    • Want to keep kitchen supplies in the budget (Tommy)
    • More budget for game collection if there’s going to be more game nights (Tommy)
    • Could “feature” a game at game night with some less-played games (Austin), could award bonus points to people who opt to lead these games (Lloyd)
  • Floor bonding event with Zane, firepit event?
    • Could be Friday night before game night (was tentatively decided for Friday the 6th, 6-9)
    • Food for the event: S’Mores, hot chocolate, drinks, people can bring snacks
  • Meet CIF & game night Sat; Meet CIF at 7:30, game night at 8
    • Want people to give room tours
    • Print more flyers
    • Could experiment with going no-flyers for some events? (Josh) – too much of a loss during fall semester when first years want to learn about organizations
    • Flyering the wall right in Sue B stairs area is a good place
  • Cosponsor request from juggling (Wed the 11th, Juggle for Good, teams compete in games not necessarily involving juggling, and winnings go towards a charity of your choice)
    • Requires 5 members to attend with registration at $4 per person
    • Bring this up at floor meeting to see interest
    • If a CIF member is already a juggling club member, they wouldn’t count towards the 5 requirement for CIF cosponsorship
  • ­­Date for next game night
    • At floor meeting, ask people to start thinking of ideas for events
    • Get pizza for this week’s game night & meet CIF, Salvatore’s
    • Next game night on the 21st
    • Could get Costco pizza in the future (Tommy)
  • First tech seminar
    • Intro to Bash, intro to command line (Austin), slides are already ready from last time
    • Weekend of the 14th? Lloyd and Jack can maybe help
    • Expected attendance probably under 15 people
    • Midday, 2-3? Half hour buffer for reservation on either side, Sat 14th, Douglass 401
    • Posters asap, could just reuse last one
    • Get it on weekend highlights
  • Don’t Freeze 2 this year
    • Cosponsor with other groups, AIF, Lilac Living, maybe MIF
  • Build a computer tech seminar
    • Did a proof of concept last year with floor members only
    • Need more screwdrivers, but went well overall
    • Could be a good idea as a study break (Austin), gives us time to prepare and get materials and reserve a large room
  • Appointed positions went well for last semester
    • Give them a “score” of points for the job they’re doing, and have them come in only if needed (Tommy)
    • Paparazzi, kitchen goddess, lab lords, pantheon of cleanliness as kitchen goddess’ underlings
    • Get rid of sysadmin? (Austin), Josh has a plan for what to do with them
    • Pantheon of cleanliness could have the same “grade” of points? (Tommy)
    • Could just have a bunch of kitchen goddesses, so they all have the same job (Austin)
    • Librarian for games so people can borrow them? Added into the responsibilities of king of games, and bring that position back to put games away (Isabel)
    • Request nominations at next floor meeting, not today’s one
  • Participation point code names due next floor meeting, the 15th

Floor Meeting Minutes

December 8th, 2019

  • Please clean up the kitchen and remove your food from the fridge before break
  • VR headset is on the way and more details will be discussed once it arrives
  • Buying snacks to put in lounges for reading period studying
    • Snack recommendations?
    • M&Ms
  • Build a computer tech seminar/study break Friday, Dec 13 2:30-4:30 Douglass 401
    • You can get a point for attending and a point for helping run it!
  • Isabel wants to have an event on Wednesday for people to hang out and decorate cookies
    • Probably at like 8 pm
  • We want to buy a board game for the semester and haven’t yet
    • Taking game suggestions/recommendations!
    • We Didn’t Playtest This At All
    • Munchkin
    • Splendor
  • White elephant gifts are going in the corner by the skeleton of Mike
  • Thanks for a great year, everyone!

November 17th, 2019

  • Final board and floor meetings:
    • Board meeting Nov 24, Dec 1, Dec 8
    • Floor meeting Dec 8
  • CIFgiving Sat Nov 23 4 pm
    • You can bring a friend if you wish, but it is encouraged to bring extra food to accommodate the extra people
    • Seeking volunteers to help clean up kitchens for points – a section for this is on the food sign-up sheet if you are interested
    • Shopping trips for buying supplies sometime; info will be in the Facebook chat
  • Don’t Freeze Together 2 Friday, Dec 6 6-10 Jackson Court Firepit
  • Casual Game Night Saturday, Dec 7 8 pm
    • Isabel wants to host a casual Magic tournament, a few people are interested
  • How to Build a Computer Seminar Douglass 403 2-5 pm Fri, Dec 13
    • Study break
  • Studying together casual event during reading period
    • Will not count for points due to rules regarding reading period events
  • Secret Santa/White Elephant gift exchange Sun, Dec 8 after the final floor meeting
    • 6 people are interested
    • Secret Santa vs. White Elephant: 6 for SS, 9 for White Elephant
  • More CIFx talks Nov 24 (and maybe Dec 1 if people want to)
    • Josh: parts of a computer talk
  • Lots of participation points available at CIFgiving, so if you’re low on points, please consider bringing something! Even random snacks could earn you a point!
  • If anyone plans on changing rooms from this semester to next semester, contact Dan
  • Constitution vote: only 28 voters out of the 29 needed, so vote cannot pass
    • 25 yes, 3 no
  • Chair: Lloyd vs Lucas
    • Lloyd
  • Logistics Director: Casey vs Jason vs Liam
    • Casey
  • Secretary-Treasurer: Casey vs Jason vs Liam
    • Liam
  • Tech Services Director: Josh
    • Josh
  • Tech Maintenance Director: Jack
    • Jack

November 3rd, 2019

  • CIFx talks next weekend on Sunday night
    • Short talk about anything interesting you’d like to teach people about, and you can get participation points!
    • Jason: A*; Cole: Vim; Isabel: either mansplaining or weird sex stuff from her Latin class
  • Tabling on Thursday from 4:30-6:30 pm outside Danforth
    • Setup, 4:30-5:30, 5:30-6:30, and takedown “slots” for one participation point each
  • Game Night and Meet CIF Saturday, Nov 9 7:30 pm
  • SIH Collab Event – Study Break in the Welles Brown Room 3-5 pm Sunday, Nov 10
  • Flyers for both of these events will be out soon so hang them up to get points!
  • Participation point quota is 22 this semester, and without a waiver, you risk being placed on probation, which could reduce your membership status and housing!
    • SO PLEASE TRY TO MEET QUOTA!! Talk to us if you’re having trouble!
    • You can check your participation point status on the Excel sheet that was sent to you earlier in the semester
    • You can make your own event to earn points (like playing a game together as an event)
  • CIFgiving is Sat, Nov 23
    • Food sign-up sheet is going out tonight
    • Making food gets you 2 points, bringing something gets you 1 point
    • We will be reserving other floors’ kitchens to cook in if you need the space
  • Ian is hosting a CIF Minecraft server that is open to everyone to play on!
    • It has a modpack that you can download, with the link in the CIF Facebook chat (contact him if you can’t find it)
    • He can also help you get connected to it if you’re new to using mods!
  • Josh is proposing a new constitution
    • Changes include definitions of amendments vs. new constitution, quorum for voting
    • Changes housing block system (currently it just adds the total amount of housing points in a block, which unfairly outweighs smaller blocks or individuals; new system makes the max size 3 people and goes based off the highest-point person in the block unless they are an outlier, in which case it is their points -8 if the gap is >8)
    • Creates a better distinction between probation and misdemeanor (if it affects more than one person or is otherwise deemed more serious by board, then it is probation)
    • Many other small changes that you can ask Josh about
    • Voting for this will be open at next game night as well as next floor meeting
    • At game night, you can come to me (Lucas) and submit your vote anonymously and put your name on a list to verify that you have voted, but I will not be able to know what your vote is (this is just to prevent double voting)
  • Nominations:
    • If you would like to run for a board position for 2020, you will have to take and pass a constitution quiz to ensure that you know how CIF runs and what your position does (you can take this as many times as you like)
    • This quiz will be held after board meeting next week (Sunday, Nov 10, around 9 pm)
    • Overview of what each position does (please see any of us if you’d like us to recap this for you!)
    • Chair: Lucas, Lloyd
    • Logistics: Casey, Liam, Jason
    • Secretary-Treasurer: Liam, Jason
    • Tech Services: Jack, Josh
    • Tech Maintenance: Jack, Josh

October 20th, 2019

  • Please clean out the old things in the fridge
  • DandyHacks Git seminar this weekend in Genesee 309 from 4:30-5:30
  • November 9-10 SIH weekend; will have a Game Night November 9
    • Will be having pizza and a Meet CIF beforehand
  • Tabling Thursday evening that week, outside of Danforth
  • Study break Sunday, Nov 10 3-5 pm Welles-Brown Room
  • Theme suggestions for the November 9 game night:
    • October
    • Oktober
    • Inktober
    • November Rain by Guns and Roses
    • Ethan
      • 9/9/19
    • Keanu Reeves
    • Easter
    • Decorative Gourds
    • Out of Context John Mulaney Jokes
    • “9/9/19” -Ethan
    • Edible Birds That Aren’t Turkeys
    • Inedible Birds That Aren’t Turkeys
    • Flammable Birds That Aren’t Turkeys
    • Most Birds
    • Ants
    • Freedom
    • Bees?
    • French Revolution
    • Stars and Stripes Everywhere
    • Revolution
    • Things Lucas Writes Down
    • Specifically Not Thanksgiving
    • Ketchup
    • Christmas
    • Every Holiday That’s Not Thanksgiving
    • Christmas Music
  • Emergency Election tonight for Tech Maintenance Director
  • Nominations for election opening November 3, actual elections November 17
  • Game Night this Saturday, October 26
    • Will need volunteers to make decorations
  • November 2 Movie Night, poll going out soon with genres
  • R Tech Seminar November 16
  • CIFgiving Saturday, November 23
    • Google sheet with food sign-up going out before then
  • Don’t Freeze Together 2 (S’mores and hot chocolate at the firepit)
    • Weekend of December 7
  • Ian is going to run a modded Minecraft server for CIF
    • List of mods is posted in the FB chat
  • Election:
    • Cole Miller: 16
    • No confidence: 3
  • Cole is the new Tech Maintenance Director

September 29th, 2019

  • Please clean up after yourself in the kitchen
  • Casual Game Night Sat, Oct 5th (during Mel weekend)
  • CIFx talks Sun, Oct 6th
    • Casual, interesting talks on various topics, hosted by CIF members, right on floor!
  • Official Game Night Sat, Oct 26th (after fall break weekend)
    • Will likely be during SIH weekend
    • Theme ideas:
      • Halloween
      • Spooktober
      • SIH themed: Anything But CIF
      • Keanu Reeves
      • Sweet but Psycho
      • Spooky Scary Objects That Are the Vague Shape of Skeletons but Are Not Specifically Skeletons
      • Jack Skellington
      • Josh Coppola
      • Easter
      • Skeletons, But with Hats
      • Christmas
      • Easter But It’s Tommy Photoshopped in a Bunny Costume
      • Area 51: Clap Them Alien Cheeks
      • Google Dots
      • Clippy
      • Microsoft Bob
      • University IT
      • UR_Connected
      • iZone
      • Grubhub
      • Remembering Late Night
      • Funeral for the Seniors
      • Graveyard with everything that’s died since last year
      • Existential (cover up the C in CIF to make it just “IF”)
      • Tommy Hanson
      • Ethan as a Maid
      • 4 AM theme
    • CIFgiving (annual CIF thanksgiving celebration) projected to be on Sat, Nov 23rd, 4 pm
      • Please bring food, you can cook if you want!
    • Appointed positions:
      • Flyboy: Isabel
      • Sysadmin: Jack, Lloyd
      • Paparazzi: Sifan
      • Kitchen Goddess: Casey
      • Still seeking King of Games and Lab Lord
        • Involves taking care of games (bringing them out, putting them away, tracking who borrows games) and taking care of the lab to keep it clean
      • Self-nominations for King of Games: Richard, Ian, Tristan
      • Self-nominations for Lab Lord: Richard
      • Will be seeking Hall Council Rep later in the semester to attend Hall Council meetings for CIF; more information to come
    • Isabel bought sponges for the kitchen that will be arriving soon
    • Constitution voting:
      • 23 yes, 4 no
      • New constitution does not pass

September 15th, 2019

  • Where’s ethan
  • Code names and dues are due TONIGHT!!!
  • Appointed position nominations are now open!
    • Web developer: new appointed position; will be designing the website CSS
    • Kitchen goddess: ensure kitchen stays clean and dishes don’t just stay there
    • Paparazzi: take photos for CIF website/posters
    • Lab lord: ensure the lab stays clean
    • Sysadmin: discuss with tech directors individually for information
    • Flyboy: ensure posters for events get put up
    • King of games: bring out games for game night and put them back; keep track of who borrows games
  • Tech seminar Saturday the 21st, 3:15-4:15, Unix/Bash/Command Line, Douglass 401
    • If you already know about this, you can volunteer to help out for points
    • Intermediate and above level preferred for volunteers
  • Casual game night Saturday the 21st, 8 pm, bring your friends!
    • Emails going out to members and mailing list
    • You could host a one shot at a casual game night
    • Casual Magic tournament if people are interested
    • New game donation: “New Phone Who Dis?” (Tanamaya)
  • If you have an idea for an event you’d like to host or would like us to host, let a board member know! We want to do events that people are interested in!
  • Constitution changes: (Josh)
    • Change in tech director titles (senior vs junior instead of tech maintenance vs services)
    • Participation points values will be listed on the spreadsheet in the future, rather than in the constitution
    • Nauticock award will be open to board members and repeat winners
    • Housing blocks have been completely changed (read document for more detailed info)
      • Points used to be summed and no max size
      • Now changed to max of 3 people and take highest point total of any one member in the group (unless there is a large gap between the top and second, take the second plus 8)
    • Misdemeanors and probations have been more strictly separated and defined
      • If an action affects more than one other person, the perpetrator will face probation automatically
    • Voting will be at next floor meeting, Sept 29th; we need as many people as possible to show up to pass the new constitution

September 1st, 2019

  • Quota for participation points for this semester is 22
    • You can get points by flyering, bringing food to events, attending events, etc. and meeting this quota is required for all members to ensure that people stay involved
    • There will be a public spreadsheet with all the points everyone has
    • Send me your participation point code names to put on the spreadsheet
  • Dues for the semester are $25
    • Can be “paid”’ via improvements to the lab (i.e. donating hardware), please talk to a board member if you are interested in this alternative option
  • Participation point code names and dues are both due on Sun, Sept 15th
  • Fill out the door tag spreadsheet in the email from Dan before Tuesday
    • Select a shape that you’d like to be, or just leave it blank to be surprised
  • Board meetings are held in the suite 320 lounge, open to all members, and participation points will be granted to non-board members who attend and participate in the discussion
  • Floor meetings are every two weeks in the core starting at 9, and ideally will be around a half hour long
  • Board member introductions
  • Shirts and stickers
  • Fri, Sept 6: get to know each other event at the Jackson Court firepit, 6-9 pm
  • Sat, Sept 7: meet CIF at 7:30pm on floor, game night at 8pm
  • Flyers for upcoming events will be out soon; you can get points for putting them up around campus
  • Two board game nights a month from now on
    • One will be more casual, without flyers to advertise, and the first one is on Sept 21
  • First tech seminar on Sat, Sept 14, Douglass 401 2-3 pm (once reservations are set)
    • Topic: Unix and Command Line
    • Taking volunteers for people experienced with unix and command line to help
    • Any kind of experience would be helpful, this is a low-pressure commitment!
  • Co-sponsorship with the Strong Jugglers Wed, Sept 11: Juggle for Good
    • Play juggling-related games in teams and compete to win money to donate to a charity of your choice
    • Low interest, so no co-sponsorship
  • Ideas for events you’d like to run? Want help running an event you’d like to have? Talk to Dan!
    • In the past, we had a Paradox games event
    • We want to run events that people are actually interested in!
    • CIFx talks: member-run talks about anything tech related, very informal and held in suite lounges; held on Sunday nights when there isn’t a floor meeting
    • Talk to a tech director if you’re interested in hosting a CIFx talk (Josh or Austin)
    • You will get participation points for running one
  • Appointed positions:
    • Paparazzi: take photos at events and send them to board so we can use them on our poster board, flyers, website, etc.
    • Kitchen goddess: make sure that the kitchen stays clean, dishes go back on the shelves, things don’t just sit on the drying racks, etc.
    • Lab lord: keep the lab clean, take out the trash & recycling, etc.
    • Sysadmin: newer position, still being determined – talk to a tech director if interested
    • Poster boy: ensure that flyers are actually put up in time before the event that they’re for (not putting everything up by themselves, just making sure other people help)
    • King of games: put away games after game night, keep a spreadsheet of what games we have, keep records of when games are borrowed and ensure they are returned
    • Hall council rep: communicate with hall council to represent CIF; still waiting to hear more about this position from hall council
    • If you’re interested in holding any of these positions, nominate yourself at the next floor meeting and board members will decide who holds these positions
    • You can get participation points for holding these! You get .5 points per month by default, and an extra .5 if you go above and beyond in your role.
  • DandyHacks is coming up! You can make a project and win awards! Sifan is looking for people to host a git workshop at DandyHacks. If interested, contact him!